We’re about to countdown 5 of the world’s most dangerous foods. We’re not talking about slow killers either, cholesterol is not what’s going to end you with these menacing munchies. We’re talking full on death and disease, so get yourself ready, and prepare to chow down…on death.
5. Kicking off this deadly list is the Icelandic delicacy named Hakari, otherwise known as rotten shark. Described by many as the worst tasting food in the world, the shark doesn’t have a urinary tract, or kidneys. So what’s the big deal? Well, it means that all the waste and toxic substances are filtered through the skin. Food Borne illness? Very much so. So what’s the only way to prepare it safely? Letting it ferment, and then hanging it up to dry for six months. Delicious.
4. Next up, we’ve got every cheese connaisseurs wet dream, and every FDA member’s worst nightmare. It’s Casu Marzu, and it’s not very good for you. The Sardinian tradition and aphrodisiac is basically rotten, maggot filled cheese. To make this delightful snack, shepherds lay the cheese outside and allow flies to lay eggs inside it. Once the maggots hatch, they eat the cheese, which causes it to ferment. So why is it dangerous? Well, you eat the live maggots along with the cheese, and the little buggers can eat through your intestinal wall, which in turn can cause some severe illnesses. So yeah, not very gouda for you.
3. Number three is none other than blood clams. These little buggers are harvested in the Gulf of mexico, the atlantic, and the pacific, and they can seriously mess you up. Unlike other varieties of clams that are safe to eat, the bloods actually ingest viruses and bacteria. Not a huge deal right? Wrong. Blood clams have been known to carry Hepatitis A, typhoid, and dysentary, none of which are things you want to catch. Why not avoid the blood clams and get yourself some nice fresh oysters. They taste great, and won’t give you Hepatitis. Win win.
2. This next killer does not want to be eaten, and will do whatever it takes to get out of your mouth. It’s called Sannakji, and it sucks…literally. This Korean baby octopus is served raw with some semame oii, and is supposed to be quite delicious. So what’s the problem? Well, the little guys keep moving even after theyve been chopped up, and those suction cups still work very well. The conserved gripping power allows the tentacles to latch on to the back of the throat and cause choking and asphyxiation. It’s basically a food that is actively trying to choke you. Chew them well.
1. Lastly, we got a classic that can seriously ruin your day. By killing you almost instantly. That’s right, it’s fugu fish, and it’s oh so dangerous. This japanese delicacy s so poisonous that chefs go through seven years of training before they’re allowed to serve it to customers. That’s probably a good thing, because the toxins in this fish can paralyze you and cause asphyxiation. Oh, and there’s no antidote. Good news though, fishticks are still safe. Thank god.
Got any other killer foods in mind? Let us know in the comments section and until then, happy eating.